[Diabetes-Talk] Questions regarding blood sugar and diet

Terri Stimmel icecreamlover76 at outlook.com
Mon Aug 5 23:49:51 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

This is Terri. I have posted here before. But using a different email
address. I have finally updated this list to my now, main email address.
I always appreciate the help and support I find here.

First of all, a while back I posted that I was now using the Libra
system. While I have had some struggles with it, I love it! I feel it's
been a huge game changer for me. The biggest issue I have had, is always
keeping the sensor on for the fourteen day period.

Also, I posted that I was taking Victoza, and had been taking this for a
few years. I had stated that I was trying to get my doctor to understand
how ill it made me feel.

Well he finally did hear me, and he changed my medication. This was done
at my last visit back in June. I go back to see him again in September.
He changed my medication to once weekly Ozimpic. I like that I only need
it once a week. Although, I have had to set a reminder to make sure and
take it.

I am on what I believe is the beginning dose. I don't really seem to
have side affects from it.

well now that I have given you all a little update, I do have a few
questions.

First of all, I live with my boyfriend. He is visually impaired. We eat
most meals together, and combine our income to purchase groceries. We
likely don't eat the best. He enjoys more veggies, as where I don't
really. I like salads sometimes. As well as green beans. But not much
else really.

So we eat chicken strips and fries, or fish fellets, and tater tots. Or
we will buy a five meat, cheese stuffed crust pizza, and split it. we
also sometimes eat ham sandwiches, baked beans, and potato salad. We
usually have a snack around 8, or 9 in the evening. We do try to eat our
denner between about 5:00, and 7:00. I don't always eat breakfast.

Anyway, I state all this to give you an idea as to how we can eat.
Nothing is fried. It's all cooked in the oven. Unless we eat out. Which
we do at least once a week.

I know I don't eat well, and should change this. But I don't see it
happening any time soon. My doctor is aware of how I eat. I don't hide
it, or lie about it. I don't feel that's right.

But here is something I have noticed.

For a few months now, my blood sugar rarely goes under 200. If it does,
it might be, because I have skipped a meal. But what really concerns me
is how it seems to stay high over night, and is high in the morning. My
fasting blood sugar is usually around 230, to 270.

I know this needs to change. I don't eat anything after 9:00 at night.
So I would think that my blood sugar would be a lot lower by 8 in the
morning. It's not, and I feel I am the cause.

Is this all likely due to how I choose to eat?

Or could there possibly be more to it than this?

I do eat candy at least once a week. But only a few pieces when I do. I
usually have an ice cream sandwich, or cone a few times a week. I rarely
eat fruit.

I do drink 3, to 4 bottles of watter a day. But I also sometimes drink a
large glass of sweet tea once a day, diet Dr Pepper, or sugar free coolaide.

Again, I know I am likely the cause as to why my blood sugar is like
this. But I don't know what to do to make necessary changes. I have
tried in the past. But I can't ever seem to stick to anything for long.
I used to never drink water. So I feel this is at least a small improvement.

What do you all think?

Does anyone possibly have any suggestions?

Thank you for reading my message. I know it was kind of long. Any
thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you,

Terri