[Diabetes-Talk] Questions regarding blood sugar and diet

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 02:35:50 UTC 2019

Sandy,

Yes, thank you, grin.

From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of sandi via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:35 AM
To: Terri Stimmel <icecreamlover76 at outlook.com>; Diabetes Talk for theBlind <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: sandi <sjryan2 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] Questions regarding blood sugar and diet

Hi Terri,

You do have the potential for changing your blood sugars, and changing your eating habits could be a major key, both because it could help you lose weight if you need to (even a small weight loss can have a major effect on weight), and because it can lower your blood sugar levels. Having said that, lots of other factors contribute to blood sugar levels as well, including how active you are. But let’s talk about food.

All the foods you mention are breaded and, while you don’t fry them, they are fried before they get to you. That’s why you can put them in the oven for a relatively brief time and they taste so good. And to make those foods taste even better, although sugar isn’t an ingredient you’d think would be in those foods, it is, sometimes in pretty high amounts. So even when you are eating at home, you are eating foods that have negative consequences for your blood sugar levels. Baked beans and potato salad also have quite a bit of added sugars, not to mention potatoes, which often raise blood sugar levels. And while a ham sandwich may seem like a good choice, the meat is cured (which, if you eat enough, has cancer-causing consequences), and the two slices of bread, especially if they’re white bread or other refined breads, may raise your blood sugar.

Do either of you do any cooking from scratch, or would learning to do so be an option? Anything you can buy fresh and cook yourself is an improvement to the diet, because you know what actually goes in there, and when the food is fresh, it doesn’t need to contain all the chemicals to make it the right texture and keep it fresh. For example, we, too, eat chicken nuggets, but we make them from raw chicken, dipped in an egg, dredged in almond flour, and sautéed in a little olive oil in a skillet. Frying—yes, but not in vats of grease. And breaded, but very lightly. And nut and bean flours are much more nutritious, and very tasty!

You can choose to learn to eat vegetables. I know lots of people who don’t eat many veggies. But there are hundreds of ways to eat them, and I bet you can learn to love at least a few. You don’t have to choose only fresh vegetables, only frozen vegetables, or only canned vegetables. You don’t have to choose to eat them only raw or only cooked, and you can eat them with sauces, dipped in salad dressings or dips, baked into casseroles, minced very fine and included in favorite recipes, such as spaghetti, or you can eat your favorites in a salad with your favorite dressing. The best dressings are oil and vinegar (no sugar) or ranch-type dressings, which come with almost no carbohydrate, and as a bonus, they help the good nutrients in the salad vegetables get into your body and function, because of the fat in the dressings.

Another good habit to practice might be eating meats and fish without breading. You can also have those in a sauce, with a light crust of herbs and spices, baked in parchment with some finely-minced veggies, or baked in a little butter with added garlic, lemon juice, and a little minced onion if you like that.

Another good habit is paying attention to portion sizes. That doesn’t mean to eat the serving listed on that bag of chicken nuggets. It means figuring out what amount of those nuggets fits your needs and, if it’s less than a serving, eating that smaller portion. And do be aware of the serving sizes on the bag, because if you eat more, you’re getting lots. I have one friend who lost 82 pounds and was able to go off all his diabetes meds (he’s a Type 2) just by no longer eating the entire container of whatever food he chose for his meal. Learn what reasonable servings are, and work toward eating those.

Another thing you might try: Buy ready-to-eat TV dinners that are “healthy.” They still aren’t like homemade stuff, but they are much better than the breaded and partially fried foods. They can help you get back to tasting the real food that’s under the breading, and you can find ones that taste really good. When you’re selecting meals, don’t pick them for their low fat (often those are higher in carbs), or calories (unless you’re trying hard to lose weight). Select them for their taste (something you’ll enjoy eating) and look at their carb content. Your goal should be to learn, over time, not to have to really count anything, just to enjoy your food, because you’ll have internalized the info for the foods you love.

Of course, even though the mantra over the years has been that sugar doesn’t cause diabetes, eating too many carbs causes blood sugar problems for people with diabetes, and cutting back on sugar will help you lose weight and lower your blood sugar. It just will. The other big issue is refined wheat flour. These things are problems because your body barely has to do anything with them to store them as fat. Eating less of them will help you.

Having said all this, having the foods you are currently eating occasionally (I’d say less than once a week), can still be an option for you.

There are ways you might ask your doctor to help, too. He or she can give you access to a registered dietitian as a member of your team. Working with a dietitian can help you develop the habits I’ve mentioned here, and many more, and the dietitian can help you formulate a personal eating plan that fits your lifestyle. Because of your current readings and your wish to lower them, the dietitian would be a valuable member of your team.

My son is a Type 2, and recently was switched from Victoza to Ozempic (sp?), as you were. His blood sugars were running about the same as yours, even though he eats a bit more healthfully. His doctor put him, at the same time, on a very small base insulin dose each day. It has helped tremendously! And if you’re on the lowest dose of the new drug, perhaps your doctor will raise the dose a bit at your next appointment, if that’s an option.

I hope this is a little bit helpful. I am a Type 2, as are most members of my family, and I was a registered dietitian for quite a few years. This all sounds like a lot to handle, but with a good dietitian, you should be able to fit all foods you like, and quite a few new ones, into your diet. You don’t have to eat a certain kind of food and avoid whole food groups to help with your A1c or your glucose levels. It’s more about how much you eat, the makeup of your whole menu, whether you do any activity, and being willing to work on a few new habits, then about labeling any foods as “good” or “bad.”

Sandi

Sent from Mail for Windows 10