[Diabetes-Talk] Intro.

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:44:22 UTC 2019

Pranit,

Hello and welcome. Glad you've moved forward and are living a life on your
terms.

I became blind 16 years ago, and I feel I've had a fuller life since then
than I did before. I met and married my husband (he's also blind), went back
to school and received a second undergrad and masters and had 2 children.
Even before I knew about training centers or the NFB, I didn't accept that I
was limited or had less of a future than I did before. I was determined to
move forward and live life.

I learned Braille 15 years ago, but I have difficulty reading it. Despite
being a writer, I primarily rely on tech for reading and writing. I write
and edit, and use JAWS to do it. It can be tedious, but I have made it work.
I use Braille when I can, mostly to label things at home or for making short
lists or jotting something down, but for large amounts of reading/writing,
I'm just much too slow; and it's not for lack of trying and working at it. I
actually write it very well, but I struggle with reading Braille. So, to
each his own.

I used to work for the Omaha World Herald, a local newspaper, as a health
and wellness blogger. I talked about diabetes and blindness a lot. I
eventually had to quit that job though, because when my first son was born,,
he had a lot of health complications and was in the NICU for 2 months. At
the time, I decided to stay home and take care of him. He's doing well now,
and you would never know he had a rough start (he's 6 now) but he is on the
spectrum, and I'm now dealing with his school to ensure he IEP is meeting
his needs. His new school this year has been difficult, and I've been in a
back-and-forth with the school psychologist; she met the wrong mama bear,
LOL!

I discovered I was pregnant with my second while training for a triathlon
with my husband a couple of years ago. The week before the race, I found
out. Sadly, I was in amazing shape during my pregnancy. I kept up my
training in addition to yoga during the entire 9 months. Since he was born,
I exercise, but not as intensly as I did pregers LOL! I would like to get
back to triathlon shape again, but life is just so busy these days.

I've been diabetic for 33 years now. I've been using an insulin pump for 15
years and just started using a Dexcom CGM back in October.