[Diabetes-Talk] dex com

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:16:39 UTC 2019

Dar,

A CGM just reads glucose levels.

An insulin pump just delivers insulin.

This is why some of us use both. A CGM does not deliver insulin, and an
insulin pump doesn't read glucose levels.

Honestly, Dar, don't use an insulin pump; I don't think it's the right
option for you.

Those of us using pumps can't not read the screen at all or access it with
any tech. We have found work-arounds to make it work, but it's not always
easy. And as of now, there's not a single insulin pump on the market that a
blind diabetic can use any longer, not even with a work-around. After
October of last year, we no longer have pumps that will work for us. Those
of us who switched before the deadline only have 4 years before Medtronic no
longer supports the pump we are on.

So, stick with an insulin pen.

Dexcom also comes with a receiver like Libre that's completely inaccessible
for blind people. It doesn't matter that you won't use it; you still will
get it. It's a part of the entire system. I don't even have my receiver
turned on though; I only use the app on my smart phone.

Before Medicare covered Dexcom, I looked into paying for it myself, and I
believe it was going to cost around $1200 for the entire system. So, you
need to find out for sure what Dexcom estimates for you, but if you switch
to Dexcom and have to pay for it the first time, that may be around what you
would pay. But again, you need to contact Dexcom and find out an amount for
sure.

Also, the way Dexcom and Libre work are similar. You will have to insert a
sensor onto your body and attach a transmitter then connect with the app on
your phone. If you go with the Dexcom G6, which I highly encourage you to do
if you switch to Dexcom, it's much easier to insert the sensor. Another
bonus to using Dexcom is that most endo offices are familiar with Dexcom and
can train you properly on the system and help you if you have any problems
with it in addition to Dexcom's tech support.

But again, want to really stress and clarify that CGMs (which Dexcom and
Libre are) and insulin pumps are not the same thing and do very different
things.