[Diabetes-Talk] new member

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:03:10 UTC 2019

All great points and suggestions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Eileen Scrivani via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:03 PM
To: Diabetes Talk for the Blind <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Eileen Scrivani <etscrivani at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] new member

Hi Ryan,

I’m totally blind and have been a diabetic since age 5 (this year will be living with type 1 50 years)! I lost my sight from diabetes when I was 17 so its like second nature to me now. With practice you will master your glucose meter. Are there any types of support groups for blind people in your area. It can help to just get out of the house and be with other people, especially people who can relate to what you are going through. Here in New Jersey, they have groups across the state that meet once a month. I think they are called adjustment to vision loss, but even though I’m adjusted I don’t have to be newly blind to participate if I wanted. Some NFB chapters also have different events weather its a book club or a telephone meeting. Any of these might help to lift your spirits some. And even though it can take a long time to get services, you might want to contact your states Commission for the Blind to see if they might offer you some training on living/cooking as a blind person.

My husband passed away 2 years ago and cooking for 1 has been challenging but there are plenty of healthy things to eat that don’t have to be a frozen dinner. Sometimes I will order things like individually packaged hamburgers, or salmon filets that I can keep in the freezer & take only 1 out at a time when I want to cook them on a Foreman grill. A hot rotisserie chicken sold hot from a local grocery store is also perfectly fine and you can refridgerate the left overs for another meal or to put in a salad. There are many varieties of frozen vegetables these days sold in bags that are steamable in the microwave too. You can also do things like white or sweet potatoes in the microwave. There are plenty of choices like Bridgett mentioned.

I know its hard to kick the habit, but if you could manage to get off smoking that would be a boost to your cardio-vascular system and over all health.

If you have other questions ask away. This is a helpful group.

Eileen