[Diabetes-Talk] The Stupidity of Medtronic.

Michael Capelle mikecapelle at charter.net
Wed Jun 19 17:46:03 UTC 2019

I totally agree.

-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:33 PM
To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind' <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter <bkpollpeter at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] The Stupidity of Medtronic.

Dar,

If you have an inaccessible meter and cannot use it visually or do not have help reading it, and you wanted to use a service like AIRA or Be My Eyes, you would have to use it every time you test your BGS, which for many of us, could be 4 times a day, could be 8 times a day.

For those of us with insulin pumps, it's very difficult for a person on a video call to see the screen. I've tried Be My Eyes and AIRA with my pump, and it was incredibly difficult for the agent to see the screen on my pump.

At the end of the day, using AIRA is not practical, and my problem with AIRA is that while it has its uses, it's not creating independent solutions for blind people. You are still relying on sighted assistance with a service like AIRA. We shouldn't have to use AIRA, Be My Eyes or anything else; accessibility should be a given in medical devices. I should be able to operate all functions on my pump without assistance. Likewise, it should be a given that a blind diabetic gets approval for a talking meter.