[Diabetes-Talk] pump or not to pump

hmladek at neo.rr.com hmladek at neo.rr.com
Tue Jun 25 01:23:59 UTC 2019

Hello Eileen,

Thank you and also to Diana for your responses. What I am understanding is that from those of you who have shared your points, the pump is a device that gives you more freedom of your lives not to be concerned with the syringe delivery method and all that entails. Also, I've noticed and Eileen has kindly addressed that although there are a few controls able to be handled themselves, a blind user is not able to independently control most of the needed settings etc. without a sighted assistant.

I cannot understand to why more then do not use. Is it affordability?

Yes, I'm asking a lot but I must do my research to know how those of you use such equipment to manage your insulin therapy.

Again, I do thank you for your points regarding blindness and insulin pumps. Sad as it is, I've recently read a report from back in the early 2000s that was all about insulin pumps and diabetics blind not being able to use such devices independently.  If blind and deaf individuals are contraindicated, how does one with such a disability obtain a prescription? Being contraindicated should mean since unable to use safely/independently without assistance, how is such a device that can be so troubling be prescribed and sold to one whom has such disabilities? Maybe I'm thinking out loud but it is when you are vocal, you then are heard and somebody decides to do something.

Be heard, I am taking notes is all I can admit to...

Rick