[Diabetes-Talk] AIRA & pump questions

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Jun 25 23:02:37 UTC 2019

Have you ever tried the app Be My Eyes?

Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Veronica
Elsea via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 10:30 PM
To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind' <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Veronica Elsea <veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] AIRA & pump questions

Here are the features I use myself:
Changing batteries
Changing pod: (involves filling a pod with insulin, peeling off backing,
placing pod correctly on my arm and being on the correct screens as I do
things.
Manually entering blood sugar reading.
Entering amount of carbs I plan to eat
Adding or subtracting bolus amount based on what I may know that the pump
doesn't.
These features make use of the pump's insulin on board feature so it
accounts for insulin remaining in my system and may not deliver the full
bolus based on that data.
Set and cancel temporary basal rates.
Suspend the pump.
Technically I can change time, basal rates and other settings but I'm just a
bit timid about doing this without sighted verification because Seeing AI
doesn't announce what is selected.
With Seeing AI app:
Read expiration of pod and all status screens, including amount of insulin
on board remaining.
Verify that all of my button presses are correct when entering carbs or
insulin.
Read the screens while I'm changing the pod.
Read when temp basals are in effect.
Read alerts if I'm quick enough.
App does not always tell me which button to push. This is the "not for the
faint of heart" bit. Soft keys vary from screen to screen. I have
occasionally had to hold my breath and guess.

Favorite feature: No tubing. I love just grabbing the remote, especially
when I'm out in public.

Deal breaker on any pump: I will not switch to a pump where all I could do
is give a bolus and that's it. The value of a pump for me is making use of
the insulin on board and temp basal features in particular. I wish I could
use the food data bases.
Of course, pumps must include speech if they incorporate CGM as a built-in
feature.

I'll probably think of more stuff but this is a start.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407