[Diabetes-Talk] FB group

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 13:28:12 UTC 2019

I am not harranging anyone. People have privately messaged me, not posted
directly on the group. There's been hesitancy to post since the group is not
active right now. But these people prefer a platform like Facebook instead
of the listserve, which, as I said, is the going trend these days.

This message wasn't directed towards you or any other individual but was for
the group as a whole. If we want to reach as many blind diabetics as
possible, we need to consider other means and utilize what forms of
communication exist.

Personally, I prefer FB groups myself, and I actually admin a few; it really
doesn't take much time in a day to check social media and email, especially
if you use smart devices. But I understand social media isn't for everyone,
and that's okay. No one has to post there own questions or concerns in the
group if they prefer the listserve, but it would be helpful if more than one
of us could peruse the group from time-to-time and respond to
questions/posts others put there. This is about capitalizing on the number
of people we can reach.

I understand trying new things isn't always easy, but if we want to be
active in our blind community and reach as many blind people as we can, it's
important we have a social media presence. This isn't just for this group,
but the entire Federation. Several groups and divisions are moving in this
direction, and it affords each the opportunity to not only reach other blind
people, but get the message out about blind and Federation issues on a much
larger platform that has millions of followers. Again, if FB isn't for you,
that's fine, but we also need to acknowledge that more and more people of
all ages and backgrounds prefer a platform like FB and are active on it.
Perhaps the group will never be that active, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Some NFB FB groups are extremely active, and others haven't gained traction
either, but there tends to be a direct correlation between inactive
listserves and their FB groups/pages, and active listserves that also have a
group/page tend to be equally active. Just something to note.

And finally, I didn't harass anyone, individual or as a group. I put out
there what people have privately messaged me about. If you didn't like it,
you can delete the email and move on.