[Diabetes-Talk] insulin pumps and CGM

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Fri Mar 29 22:10:10 UTC 2019

Hi Alyssa.
I am totally blind and am currently using the Omnipod insulin pump along
with the Dexcom CGM. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the Omnipod and
the Tandem T-slim. The Tandem does have good contrast. It also does have the
best sounds as feedback, assuming you can touch the right spot on the screen
to do something. If you can work the Tandem, you can have the Dexcom built
into it so you'd be reading everything off of one device, be able to have BG
readings entered automatically and such.
The Omnipod uses pods, which are larger than the small cannulas that would
go with the Tandem, but there's no tubing. I just switched last May when the
Animas disappeared. I suspect you'd have a tough time magnifying the
Medtronic and when I tried them last year, my Seeing AI app couldn't read
them.
Also, I can do many more things with the Omnipod than with the Medtronic. If
all I can do with a pump is give a bolus, why bother! I like taking
advantage of the other things a pump can offer. But we are very limited at
the moment.
As for the CGM, I do like my Dexcom G6 and find it very easy to use. I admit
that sometimes I do hit that tech overload place, tired of constantly
keeping track of when this device expires or this one times out or this or
that, bla bla bla
bla.
Sometimes knowing and always being able to check my number is great and
really helpful and sometimes, it does wear me out a bit, if you know what I
mean. I do have days when I just want to rip everything off and run free. I
know plenty of people who occasionally take a break from one or the other.
When push comes to shove, I haven't done that. I'm one of those people who
had trouble getting enough blood for finger sticks so I do really appreciate
not having to do that now that I have the Dexcom.
But for any pump, my suggestion would be for you to get your hands on all of
them and play. You can call any company and have them send a trainer out to
show you the pump in person. So if your educators only know one, don't short
change yourself. I did that when my trusty Cozmo finally died. I wore an
Omnipod for 3 days. I met with the Animas rep and played with it. I spent
two hours with the Medtronic rep. Even the Tandem people let me take a pump
home to see if there was any way of designing a template that would allow me
to use it. Unfortunately, there wasn't because each screen was so different.
The Tandem does have kind of a weird way of filling its cartridge and it
needs to be charged through USB every day. I have no regrets for my choice
of the Omnipod for now though.
Hope this helps and if you'd like to have a further phone chat, I'd be more
than happy to do that as well. It's not an easy road we travel these days,
that's for sure. Please keep us posted and let us know if we can help at
all.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407