[Diabetes-Talk] beginner questions on constant glucose monitoring systems.

jamielgurganus at gmail.com jamielgurganus at gmail.com
Sat May 11 11:51:04 UTC 2019

Good morning!  I am totally blind and use the Dexcom with no issues.  Both
the Dexcom and Libre are accessible to us using a mobile phone app.  Many of
us on this list use these systems, so I am sure others will respond some
time today.

The main difference between the two is in how often it reads your glucose
level and sending you alerts.

I don't feel my low blood sugars any more, so I love the Dexcom.  It checks
your readings every five minutes and alerts you when your levels are too
high or too low.  It also shows you the direction your blood sugars are
going.  For example, I just ate breakfast, so it is telling me that my blood
sugar is high and slowly rising.  I have my high alert set pretty low, so my
blood sugar is just at 180 right now.  I have trouble getting my level back
down if my blood sugar is above 200, so I have my high alert set at 160.
The default high alert is 240, which is way too high for me.    Before I
exercise, I check my reading.  If it says I am 80 and falling, then I know
to eat a piece of candy before I begin exercising.

I know a few people using the Libre, but those on this list can tell you
more about it.  I know it has a sensor that is inserted on the arm.  For a
blind person to use it, you need to have the app on your phone.  If I
understand correctly, it is only available on the iPhone, but I may be wrong
on that fact.  In order to know what your reading is, you have to hold the
phone over the sensor to hear the reading.  It has no alerts nor trend
arrows like the Dexcom.

Although the Libre is a great system, it would not work for me.  Since I
don't feel my low blood sugars, I need the alerts to wake me or warn me when
I am below 55.  About six years ago, I passed out from a low blood sugar and
suffered a severe concussion along with a shoulder, neck and leg injury from
falling so hard in the bathroom.  My doctor insisted that I start using the
Dexcom, and I love what it has done for my diabetes control.  So, why you
are considering or need a CGM might help you with your decision.

				Jamie