[Diabetes-Talk] future CGM and pump accessibility

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sat Nov 9 18:07:26 UTC 2019

Hi Verlyn.
I wish I had some easy answers for you here, but truthfully, I don't. Many
of us have written letters and letters and letters over the years and
nothing has happened. Of course, that doesn't mean don't write. You never
know when some right person might see it. Clearly we need to approach this
from many angles, with the companies, with the medical device manufacturers
association, the FDA, maybe Congress and others. I have a few projects I'm
working on here.
The biggest problem I'm running into has to do with some changes online.
Initially, the beauty of the internet was that one could find anyone. Yet
because that became so easy, important people made themselves really hard to
find. I'm finding it rather tricky chasing down CEO's and such.
As for managing your diabetes, the truth is, where sighted people are,
within a few years, once the devices are inserted, they talk to each other
and just handle everything. So if that happens, life will get a lot easier
for us, well, some of us. We won't have the speech. But since you could have
someone following your glucose levels from afar, they could call you and
give you instructions. I'm sorry I am not very knowledgable about assisted
living facilities. I can't imagine there aren't some where you have a little
apartment where you could keep your cat. I did know of one place, it was in
Arizona, where you couldn't keep your own pets but they had a resident dog
and cat that residents could interact with. So it was a shared animal, but
everyone said it was better than no animal.
Sorry I couldn't get more specific this morning but at the very least,
please know that others are also thinking, trying and doing as well.
Thanks for your thoughts and please keep us posted.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407