[Diabetes-Talk] Medtronic & Inpen

Verlyn Baldwin letsdanceintx at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 04:49:39 UTC 2020

I've been using the Inpen with my IPhone app and Dexcom G6 since January
2020. While it definitely isn't a pump I think it is the best alternative
for the time being. However, this may not be true for everyone.

Today I spoke with my local Inpen representative. I wanted to know what his
thoughts were about Medtronic purchasing the company manufacturing the
Inpen. He stated that Inpen will remain its own identity within the
Medtronic Company. The future plans are to make the Inpen app automatically
calculate out the insulin dose it recommends you inject based on your
current blood glucose level and the carb, glucose level and insulin ratios
that have been programed into the Inpen app. Whether or not the
communication between the CGM and Inpen will be automatic through Bluetooth
or something rather than the individual having to enter their BG into the
app I am not sure.
I told the rep that I would be hesitant to just accept this information and
go ahead and inject the amount the Inpen is suggesting. He did agree that
factors such as stress, exercise etc. would not be something the Inpen would
be able to calculate in its suggested dose.

Currently the thing I like best about the Inpen app is that it tells me how
much insulin I have on board (remaining and working) from my last injection.
This way if I get a high glucose warning I can check my insulin on board
before deciding whether or not to inject more insulin to bring down my
glucose level and prevent a low BG from happening.

Anyone wishing to contact me for more information on my personal use with
the Inpen is welcome to email me at
letsdanceintx at gmail.com
Verlyn Baldwin