[Diabetes-Talk] What Now?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 19:13:11 UTC 2020

This has been done with zero results.

-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Michael Barber via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 1:50 PM
To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind' <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: m.barber817 at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] What Now?

You should contact Anil Lewis at the NFB Jernigan Institute at alewis at nfb.org.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 12:13 PM
To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind' <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter <bkpollpeter at gmail.com>

First, this list is in no way going to give accurate info about how many blind diabetics use an insulin pump. This list has a small fraction of blind diabetics on it. Second, a work-around is not the same as accessible. Beeps and vibrations are not the same as providing a truly accessible pump. Pump companies need to understand that Universal Design needs to be employed in the creation. Without a fully accessible pump, we will never be able to fully use a pump, nor will many blind diabetics want to use one. For those of us using the Medtronic 530G or 730G, we will soon be faced with the choice to upgrade to current models that have zero work-arounds, and if we don’t have daily, immediate sighted assistance, which most of us don’t, this is not an option, or transition back to insulin pens. Neither will be supported by Medtronic in the near future. We need to push for these companies to consider and implement true accessibility, and as is the case with every other company, it will likely take legal action for a company to move on this. The good news is that in the last 2 years, more and more ADA accessibility suits have been taken against companies failing to make digital platforms and devices accessible, and more plaintiffs are winning these suits. But, this is also not an immediate fix. But something has to give at some point. I’m currently in the process of transitioning to the InPen after some research.

Bridgit