[Diabetes-Talk] Access to insulin pumps for blind and low vision users

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 02:31:40 UTC 2020

Sorry this was your experience.

From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Veronica Elsea via Diabetes-Talk
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 9:01 PM
To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind' <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Veronica Elsea <veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com>
Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] Access to insulin pumps for blind and low vision users

Bridgit, this is what I've been advocating for about 15 years. In 2018 I did get the FDA to promise to set up a task force to work on medical equipment accessibility. The problem, both the NFB and ACB poo pooed my approach and wouldn't lift one bloody finger to help. So with nobody big behind me, guess where that one went! I think it's the most promising solution because nobody gets passed the FDA when releasing medical equipment. They have separate divisions for equipment and drugs. In fact they even have their own set of conferences and boards. That's where an accessibility requirement would really stick. And for all the yapping from both organizations about all their connections in government and here and there, maybe they're just too lazy, or there's nothing in it for them. I don't know. I've been fighting this one since Mike was president of DAN.
Just my dollar's worth.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407