[Diabetes-Talk] Medtronic pump and Dexcom low blood sugars

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 23:40:10 UTC 2021

Jamie,

Where do you find the 4 oz. juice bottles? When I was a kid, we always kept these 4 oz. cans of apple juice on hand for my lows. They had a silver sticky tab on top. I've not see these in years. I buy the Mott's 8 oz. juice bottles and keep them on hand. I usually drink half the bottle and wait to see if I need more, but having a smaller size would be nice.

When I was a kid, I had severe insulin reactions a couple of times a week, usually in my sleep. Oh, what my parent's would have done for a device like Dexcom back then. They had to use Glucogon on a super regular basis. So, it was always in stock.

By my teens though, I developed a hyper sensitivity to lows, and to this day, often wake myself when low when sleeping. For a time, after my husband and I got married, we kept Glucogon on hand, and he had to use it just twice in the 15 years we've been married. But we have not kept it on hand for years now. I'm frequently low, but sensitive enough to when I drop, and lucid enough to treat before I would need Glucogon. And like I've said, I'm still able to sense lows even in my sleep. Even when super low, like 40 or 30, I'm lucid enough to treat.

I always have a bottle of juice in my purse when I leave the house. When traveling, depending on long I will be gone, I bring plenty of bottles. I also keep at least 2 bottles in my nightstand so, when I'm low in the middle of the night, I don't have to get out of bed; I just reach across to my nightstand drawer and get a juice.

Personally, glucose tabs have never really worked for me. Remember the awful, chalky, white BD ones back in the day? Yuck. At least these days they have flavors. But they don't dissolve that quickly for me, and don't bring my BGs up quick enough. I'm not a big snacker, so, I hate snacking when I'm low. I usually just treat with juice unless it's really bad.