[Diabetes-Talk] New Meter

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Mon Jul 5 23:50:52 UTC 2021

When meter readings seem way off it’s always advisable to use the control solution and run a control test. For a blind person this requires sighted assistance because they have to look on the vial of strips and see what the normal range for the control test would be and this varies from one vial of strips to the next so can’t be memorized. Be sure and check and see if your control solution is the high or the low so that your Comparing the right numbers with each other. If after doing several control tests Tthat are out of the range on the vial, it generally means that either the strips or bad or the meter is not working properly and you need to call Prodigy. Also remember that once you open a vial of control solution it’s only good for three months although in practice I think it’s actually good a bit longer but this is the recommendation by the manufacture as well as when you open a vial of strips that they are also only good for three months. Never leave a vial of strips open longer than necessary to remove a stripped as particularly moisture in the environment will make them degenerate and become inaccurate. Also strip should not be stored in a kitchen or bathroom because there’s too much moisture and they should be stored in a cool dry place.
As has been mentioned on this list before, the Prodigy meter has been known to show readings that are way off somewhat frequently.  If I get a reading that just doesn’t seem right I often do two or three additional tests just to make sure.
Patricia

Sent from my iPhone