[Diabetes-Talk] Was wondering about Progresso soup?

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Wed Jul 28 11:54:05 UTC 2021

Hi, Terri.

I usually have the Progresso garden vegetable or the cream of mushroom
soup with one or two Schwan's turkey and pork meatballs thrown in or, if
I don't have those, I'll use 1/2 of a fully cooked Italian sausage link.

One of the things I did when they officially diagnosed me as a Type II
diabetic was go see a nutritionist.  She looked at my current A1C,
weight, etc. and gave me a daily limit of 160 carbohydrates.  It's not a
hard and fast number, gut it's a general number I try to shoot for.

If you read the label on the Progresso soup, it's very low in sugars and
fiber, but has 18 carbs per 1 cup serving, which isn't bad, but if you
eat the whole can, it's double that.  Also, there are 650 milligrams of
sodium in each one cup serving.  So the salt is there even if you can't
taste it.  That's not a bad thing, but it's good to be aware of.  Salt
and sugar can be very sneaky. <sigh>

If you know what your daily carb intake is, this would be helpful in
figuring out what you should eat and when.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com