[Diabetes-Talk] New Member Looking For Support

Dorothea Martin bestsinger at samobile.net
Mon Nov 15 14:19:22 UTC 2021

Hello, Jessica,
We've all been where you are now. I remember that when I was diagnosed,
I took my prescription papers and my other information to a friend who
was a pharmacist and just said: "Please help me sort all this out. I
don't know what to swallow or not to swallow and when." It seemed that
my pride, my freedom and a couple other things had just gone down the
drain and that I would have horrific consequences if I did not get it
all straight right away.
I joined this list and they talked about living by my meter. I bought
one, tried to do that, learned which foods made my blood sugar go up or
down and began to see my numbers drop. It was gradual, but then, I had
probably become diabetic gradually, too. So, get yourself a glucometer,
they sell them at Walmart's CVS, the Independence Market of the NFB and
other outlets that sell things for the blind. Some of the newer ones
made for sighted people don't talk by themselves but can send the
information to an app. You might want to start with a simpler one that
speaks itself. So much of this is trial and learn. And then we are all
here to help. Oh, and buy yourself some diabetic socks. They're the
best thing about diabetes in my opinion. And then there is the best
excuse for not having to eat anything you don't like. You just say
sadly: "I can't eat that. I'm diabetic," and rejoice silently.
Dotty Martin