[Diabetes-Talk] re concern about low clubos levels

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 00:44:20 UTC 2021

Gary,
Even a small amount of weight loss can affect insulin requirements. The dosage of your ultra rapid acting insulin Lyumjev For most people is generally adjusted by patient based on the amount of carbohydrate and to a smaller degree protein and fat they are going to eat at the meal. Ask your doctor if he can give you the instructions he would like you to follow to adjust your own insulin as needed between appointments. For example, if you know you are going to be very active or exercising shortly after taking your ultra rapid acting insulin it’s usually wise to reduce the dose. Alternatively as others have said you would need to eat some sort of extra carbohydrate and often no more than about 15 g to keep from dropping as a result of the activity. From seeing your many posts over the months I know you are a really sharp guy and are perfectly capable of learning how to adjust your own insulin eventually. You’re  long acting insulin  is not generally the kind of thing that you change the dose on very often but if something major changes in your lifestyle such as some weight loss the dose may also need to be reduced.
Do you take the Lyumjev before each meal?   if so, your doctor or diabetes educator could help you determine how much insulin to take for certain amounts of carbohydrate. A lot of us use what’s called an insulin to carbohydrate ratio. For example a person might take one unit of rapid acting insulin for every 10 g of carbohydrate that they eat. Others such as myself might take one unit of insulin for every 18 g of carbohydrate that I eat. This varies from person to person.
Patricia

Sent from my iPhone