[Diabetes-Talk] negaderm patches

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:22:04 UTC 2021

Every blind diabetic I know who uses pumps nonvisually has a different experience. Some are more comfortable doing certain things without sighted assistance than others.

For me, with the Medtronic 530G, which is no longer under warranty, I can deliver boluses on my own, change reservoirs and tubing without assistance along with battery changes.

The 530G does not have a CGM, but my understanding is that Medtronic CGMs are not as reliable or good as Dexcom or Libre.

I do need help adjusting basal rates. I can fill a cartridge on my own in a pinch, but I'm more comfortable having someone do this, as I find the Medtronic reservoirs tricky to fill without getting air bubbles in.

I can, however, switch temporary basals on my own.

Again, the 530G does not have the lock feature. As far as I know, all subsequent pumps Medtronic now makes have this lock function, and I've yet to meet a blind person who can unlock it without sighted assistance, or obviously if you're low vision.

The 530G is no longer available since it's not under warranty, unless something has changed with this. The only other pump on the market that blind people are using nonvisually without a lot of sighted assistance is the Omnipod, which Veronica can speak more on.