[Diabetes-Talk] Semglee insulin, a less expensive substitute for Lantus insulin

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 05:48:58 UTC 2021

Another new insulin. I also talked with my endocrinologist about a cost effective way of keeping a long acting insulin on hand in the event my insulin pump should fail which is happened to me four or five times over the years of having pumps. Always need to have a back up plan because rapid acting insulin alone cannot be used to adequately manage type one diabetes. I had always kept Lantus insulin on hand in case of those emergencies but with my current insurance is very expensive especially when like glucagon you may never need to use it. He told me about two other insulins that apparently are pretty much identical to Lantus And told me to check out the pricing as he thought they would be less expensive. I checked with the pharmacy and it is not a covered medication with my insurance but the cost of one prefilled 300 unit pen is only around $36 retail price which is acceptable.   The name of the insulin is Semglee and the other one he told me to check isBasaglar.
These insulins are all a once a day injection although some people find it works better to take half in the morning and half at night. Thought this might be of interest to both type 1 and type two people who are paying high copayments for their long acting insulin’s.
It is certainly a challenge these days to work around the high cost of insulin and the varying coverage between different insurance plans.
Patricia