[Diabetes-Talk] Insulin Act.

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Wed Jul 13 18:46:47 UTC 2022

The bill, S 3700 is not the current one. It did not pass and is going
nowhere.
The "Improving Needed Safeguards for Users of Lifesaving Insulin Now" or
(insulin) Act is a new bipartisan bill introduced by diabetes caucus
co-chairs, Susan Collins of Maine, republican  and Jean Shaheen of New
Hampshire, democrat. It doesn't yet have a bill number but it's very close
to getting one. If you refer to it as the Collins-Shaheen Insulin Act, the
information is out there. It is already endorsed by 13 different diabetes
advocacy organizations, including JDRF and ADA, who were apparently part of
the negotiations and the drafting of this legislation. Senator Schuemer (sp)
has promised to bring it to the floor very quickly.
I read the bill last week end and it has different approaches and is
slightly broader in scope. One thing it does is put a stop to the rebates
given to pharmacy benefits managers as a reward for keeping costs at 2021
MediCare levels. The bill claimed that this was one of the factors causing
the price hikes and rather than just specify the cost reduction, it aims to
address some of the reasons the cost is so high. It does create a system of
certification through the Health and Human Services Secretary through which
companies are certified as compliant and they can be decertified if they
don't follow the rules. According to Senator Collins, she called them "truly
good faith" negotiations over the last several months and clearly this
attempt does have bipartisan support.
So if we start now, we can encourage senators to advocate for getting it to
the floor and then voting for it.
But there are summaries out there and it's easy to find the text of the
bill. When I read it last week end, there were a few numbers that were not
filled in and it just said, 12345678. But I think this bill looks really
promising.
Just my dollar's worth.
Veronica

"Guide Dogs, First Hand", Veronica Elsea's classic album is now available on
iTunes, along with other music from her and from the Guide Dog Glee Club.
To learn more, visit:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407