[Diabetes-Talk] I can now take an insulin bolus directly from my iPhone after updating my tandem insulin pump and it’s fully accessible using voiceover

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 18:11:16 UTC 2022

Gary,
I have the tandem T slim X to pump with control IQ. I think this is the only model which is the newest one that can take advantage of the mobile bolus feature.
This bolus feature is the only feature that can yet be accessed by people who are blind using the voiceover screen reader.   This app is also available on various android phones and I’m assuming that it works with talkback. However even on the pump this is a fairly complex screen filled with many buttons so it would seem to me that it will be even easier for them to make the regular settings menu and its various features fully accessible. If they make it possible for us to get into the settings where the load process of a new cartridge an infusion set takes place I think that the physical aspect of filling the cartridge and tubing could also be made accessible with some discussions with their engineers.   I know there are some blind people who are already doing the cartridge change entirely themselves but I do not feel comfortable with this.
In response to those of you that do not feel comfortable with a pump until they are fully accessible I totally relate. W when I first started a pump in 1997 I had adequate site to be able to manage the whole thing myself and for many years after that. The best I could ever get using multiple daily injections was a hemoglobin A-1 C of 8.6 so a pump is crucial to my health. I take very tiny amounts of insulin measuring in 0.1 and even 0.01 units so this is impossible with insulin pens or syringes. For example my breakfast dose of insulin with factored in correction was 1.82 my last hemoglobin A-1 c was 6.4 and this is what it’s been running since starting this new pump with control IQ. I do feel like I am walking a tight rope or living on the edge of a cliff however being attached to a pump that is not fully accessible and I know this does cause a lot of stress but my diabetes is doing good. I am starting to try to rebuild a network of a few friends who can learn about my pumpand be available to help out in an emergency if my husband‘s not available. Generally I only need assistance about every three or four days when I change my site for about 10 minutes.
Patricia

Sent from my iPhone