[Diabetes-Talk] Insulin pumps, sensors, and x-rays

Patricia Maddix pmaddix at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 03:42:25 UTC 2023

I just wanted to share the good experience I had today when I unexpectedly ended up getting an x-ray. I needed an x-ray of my right shoulder, and my Dexcom sensor was on the back of my arm near the top. As I had just started a new transmitter a week ago, I didn’t want to chance ruining it, and really hated to remove the sensor. I talked with the wonderful staff and they were able to wrap a lead shield around my arm covering the sensor and transmitter and allow me to keep it on. Apparently they have some small devices like these that are used on other people with various issues such as someone’s thyroid needed to be covered during an x-ray. I just took off my tandem insulin pump and had them keep it behind the wall with their monitor, but this type of wrap could no doubt also have been used on an Omni pod pump, which is more of a major thing to remove. A few years ago when I had some epidural injections that were guided by an x-ray machine they actually wrapped both my pump and my transmitter and sensor with the same kinds of protectors so that I could continue to have blood sugar readings during my procedure And allow my husband to monitor them from the waiting room. If you have a pump or CGM, you might want to ask the staff next time you need an x-ray.
Patricia.