[Diabetes-Talk] Introducing myself

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Sat Jul 8 22:37:32 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

My name is Jonathan Franks. I am the current President for the Austin
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Texas and a former
Board member of this Division. I am a Type 1 Diabetic and have had
this condition for nearly 31 years and lost my sight due to Diabetic
Retinopathy and Glaucoma. I also have many other side effects from
this condition including Diabetic Gastroparesis, low thyroid, high
blood pressure, high cholesterol and the inability to have children
naturally. I have had a rough time dealing with Diabetes with insulin
management, addiction to high carbohydrate foods and brittle blood
sugar levels with my A1C’s usually being between 11 and 14. I wanted
to come back to this division to find a support network. I have a
multitude of experience in advocacy and am a strong proponent of the
Non Visual Medical Device Accessibility Act. So, I also wanted to
rejoin this Division to offer my support in your endeavors.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Franks MSW
President
National Federation of the Blind of Texas- Austin Chapter

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people  and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.