[Diabetes-Talk] Alarming at public events

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 17:25:48 UTC 2024

One of the things discussed at last year's meeting of the diabetes action
network at our national convention was the difficulty with alarming from CGM
devices that takes place during public meetings. While we certainly want to
be notified when our blood sugar runs low or high, how do we manage the
frequency of noise that is generated in public events, especially those with
a large number of blind diabetics? This may be an agenda item we can discuss
at our Knowledge Is Sweet seminar, but only if we have good ideas. I know,
for example, that if I wear an Apple Watch, the watch will vibrate rather
than my phone. I also know that I can go into the Libra application and
temporarily disable alarms if I am confident that my blood sugar will not go
low or high.

Please share any thoughts you have about how you would go about handling
this situation. Your contribution may well make a big difference at the
seminar. Thank you.

Gary Wunder

gwunder at earthlink.net <mailto:gwunder at earthlink.net>