[Diabetes-Talk] Getting a CGM
Patricia Maddix
pmaddix at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 06:39:33 UTC 2026
Les,
You are correct that there is a Dexcom sensor that is over-the-counter and it is called Stello. it reads blood sugars between 70 and 250 but does not have any alerts or alarms so is for type2 who don’t take insulin or non-diabetics. I believe the product by Abbott that is now over-the-counter is specifically for non-diabetics. The Dexcom Stello costs around $50 per sensor and lasts 15 days.
They are available on Amazon or directly from Dexcom by mail order but not from local pharmacies.
Patricia
Sent from my iPhone
> On Jun 23, 2026, at 9:12 PM, Les Fitzpatrick via Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Actually you can buy deexcom cgm or I think the free style lebre over the counter now.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of sugarsyl71--- via Diabetes-Talk
> Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2026 5:03 PM
> To: 'Diabetes Talk for the Blind' <diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Cc: sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
> Subject: Re: [Diabetes-Talk] Getting a CGM
>
> Hi there,
> Larry is on vacation and will return tomorrow or Thursday.
> My name is Sugar Lopez and i am a type 1 diabetic on insulin for over 30 years now, I am totally blind for a little over 40 years.
> I use the Free Libre 3+ CGM.
> I am so sorry you are having issues with receiving one, I know how that goes.
>
> I recommend that you ask your Endocronologist if you have one, or your dr. to write you a letter saying that you are blind and need a CGM (which eer one will work for you, either the Free Libre 3+ or the Dexcom) they both do the same. In order to control your diabetes. Stress on this point. Also tell them that the only way you can be independaant in caring for your diabetes and your health, you need a CGM, and that you don't need the reader and that you can access it using your phone.
> I hope this helps.
> If you need to talk more, feel free to contact me at:
> Sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
>
> Warmly
> Sugar Lopez
> 2nd VP of ACBDA (for the time being)☺
>
>
>
> 🍯 "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
> Colossians 4:5-6
>
> 🙏-❤ Sugar
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Diabetes-Talk <diabetes-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Lino Morales via Diabetes-Talk
> Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2026 4:45 PM
> To: diabetes-talk at nfbnet.org
> Cc: Lino Morales <linomorales001 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Diabetes-Talk] Getting a CGM
>
> Hello all. Lino here. Maybe some of you know who I already am. Anyway I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago in 2024. I tryed the finger stick method, but no cigar. So for the past 3 months I've been fighting with North Carolina Medicaid to get the Freestyle Libre 3. Well I was denied because I'm not on insulin. I'm on Metformen 4 times a day and take Jardins for lunch. I don't understand why our screwed up Government ensurence has to be this way. I care about my health and I want to know like the rest of you what my levels are. So if their are any lawyers or other who can help I wold be so greatful. I contacted the Prez of ACB Diabetics, but have not heard back from Mr. Gasman. Thanks to all.
>
> --
> Lino Morales KQ4NGH
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Diabetes-Talk mailing list
> Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/sugarsyl71%40sbcglobal.net
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Diabetes-Talk mailing list
> Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/lfitz50%40gmail.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Diabetes-Talk mailing list
> Diabetes-Talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Diabetes-Talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/diabetes-talk_nfbnet.org/pmaddix%40comcast.net
More information about the Diabetes-Talk
mailing list