[DSM-Iowa] Voting Problems In Polk County--You Can Help

m.barber817 at gmail.com m.barber817 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 13:56:47 UTC 2019

Good morning everyone:  As you know, today is the run-off election in Polk
County which will determine who the next Mayor and 2 City Council people
are.  While it is our duty and privilege to vote, it is also our
responsibility to make sure our Polk County Auditor is making sure the
machine we must use to cast our private ballot works at all times and tha
the poll workers are cognizant of their jobs.

Unfortunately, Roger Erpelding and I have found thing that have been
problematic in the past.  In fact, I have spoken to the County Auditor and
have frankly been disappointed in his responses.  For instance, these
machines are supposed to be accessible to everyone, included the sighted,
because they have touch screens.  However, neither the poll workers nor
sighted voters are aware of this.  Mr. Fitzgerald's response to me was they
just don't have the budget to educate the workers, which is inexcusable to
us.  Because of machine problems this last time, Roger had to wait an
incredible 45 minutes before he could vote.  45 minutes!  Sighted people
don't have to wait that long unless they are in line waiting to get their
ballots.

Because of this, Roger and I are taking on this problem as blind guys and we
intend to speak with the auditor after the elections.  So, if you have any
problems at all, no matter what they are, please let me know at either
m.barber817 at gmail.com <mailto:m.barber817 at gmail.com>  or (515)284-1569.
This is vey important.  I have left a voice mail for Mr. Harvey so he is
aware of what we're doing.  We may remind you about this at our Christmas
party this Saturday.

See you then!

Roger Erpelding and Michael Barber