[DSM-Iowa] Library News

m.barber817 at gmail.com m.barber817 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 22:37:18 UTC 2020

I serve as Chair of the the Library Consumer Advisory Committee, a committee
made up of library users of our library at the Iowa Department for the
Blind.  It has been a while since we've reported on what has been happening
at the library, so let's get that corrected here.

Below we have information from Sarah Willefard, our able Librarian.

New Library Program Highlights

Library News is a monthly audio newsletter produced by the library staff.
It gives updates on programs, services and events happening at the library.
Library News also has fun interviews and information regarding the library,
reading, books and literacy.   Library News is added to patron digital audio
Circulation cartrdiges each month.  It will soon become a podcast that can
be subscribed to as well.

D-List (Digital List including Special Titles) offers patrons a chance to
broaden their reading selections by choosing to receive the D-List titles.
Each D-List highlights a different area of the library collection.  For
example, the VOICE D-List highlights books narrated by our local volunteer
narrators.  Each patron who chooses to receive the VOICE D-List will receive
a series of six cartridges each with 10 books that all contain books
narrated by the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
volunteer narrators.  The Library also participated in The Great American
Read by offering all the 100 books in a series of 10 cartridges to those
interested patrons. Look for more D-Lists in the future!  Please contact the
library if you are interested in participating.

The library is also introducing a new feature to Library News called Beyond
the Book. Every other month the library will highlight an audiobook in our
collection.  The library will introduce the book and then you will have the
chance to request that title, and, if you would like, offer a review or your
thoughts on the book.  A select few reviews will be featured in the next
segment of Beyond the Book in Library News.  You can email your review to
<mailto:library at blind.state.ia.us> library at blind.state.ia.us or you can call
in your review to Leslie at 515.452.1329.  Here's your chance to reach out
to other patrons about the books you like or hear your review in Library
News!

2020 Braille Challenge

The 14th annual Iowa Regional Braille Challenge takes place on Saturday,
February 29, at the Iowa Department for the Blind and Physically Disabled.
The snow date is schedule for Saturday, March 7.

The Braille Challenge is the only academic competition of its kind in North
America for students who are blind or visually impaired. The Braille
Institute developed the Braille Challenge to motivate students to practice
and hone their Braille literacy skills, which are essential to academic and
employment success.

Blind or visually impaired students in grades 1 through 12 who can read and
write Braille are eligible to participate in the Braille Challenge.
Contestants are divided into five categories and tested on fundamental
Braille skills, such as reading comprehension, spelling, speed and accuracy,
proofreading, and charts and graphs

All students can compete in the preliminary Braille Challenge events, which
are held from January through the end of March throughout the United States
and Canada, but only the top 50 students (10 in each category) with the
highest scores are invited to Los Angeles for the final round - two days of
competition, camaraderie and fun!

New Library Hours

Beginning June 2020, the library will be open on the second Monday of the
month from 8:00am - 8:00pm and on the third Saturday of the month from
10:00am - 2:00pm.  Patrons are welcome to call or visit during these extra
hours.  Also, the library has two more S.O.A.R. Saturdays before summer on
Saturday, March 28th and Saturday, April 25th.  Families can enjoy fun
activities and stories and the library is also open during these times.

Upcoming Events

Elizabeth Perowsky Volunteer Workshop and Luncheon will be held on
Wednesday, April 22, 2020.  Watch the Iowa Department for the Blind website
for more information.

Sarah Willeford

Library Director, Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped

Iowa Department for the Blind

515-494-8439

 <https://blind.iowa.gov/> https://blind.iowa.gov

"A proud partner in the American Job Center network"