[DSM-Iowa] Des Moines Chapter of the National Federation of the blind of Iowa February 13th 2021 meeting agenda.

emejia at nfbi.org emejia at nfbi.org
Thu Feb 11 23:36:14 UTC 2021

Hello all.

I want to start by expressing how honored I am to have been elected
president of our Des Moines chapter.

I look forward to working with all of you in continuing to grow our chapter.

I also look forward to getting to know every single one of you.

My goal is to attempt to send out an agenda sooner. Unfortunately, due to
the loss of someone very important in my life, I have been out of the loop
for the last few weeks.

I am going to start by telling you a little about me. I mean just a little
as I do not want to write a book about my life, because mostly I think you
guys might find it boring. Anyway, I was born in the state of Michoacan
Mexico. I am the second youngest of seven. FYI I am by far the coolest one
in my family, don't let any of my siblings tell you different. I am the only
blind person in my family, which is very large especially the extended
family. I think that Helen and I stopped counting around 80 first cousins.
On March 30 I will be happily celebrating my 7th anniversary in Iowa.

If any of you want to get to know me more, as I want to get to know all of
you, my number is 8058904316.

Extra fact, this is the same number I have had since I was a junior in high
school.

Des Moines chapter updates.

Birthdays.

Below this email I will try to include important dates to remember. This can
include people's birthdays if they wish to share with the rest of the
chapter. If you would like to share your birthday, please send it to me at
emejia at nfbi.org <mailto:emejia at nfbi.org> .

Meeting info:

Topic: February Des Moines Chapter meeting

Time: Feb 13, 2021 02:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/7941099792?pwd=UHRXTEZLamFoNzA1djg1dEdpQVl3UT09

Meeting ID: 794 109 9792

Passcode: 6324692

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,7941099792# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

Meeting ID: 794 109 9792

Gladness, or sorrow.

If you would like to share something good that happened in your life or
would like to share a sorrow that you have experienced, please let me know
as soon as you can, preferably at least a week in advance of our meetings if
possible, so that I can set aside time for you on the agenda. I think in
these times when we feel the distance it is important to be able to share
these moments with our federation family. Please note that we may not always
be able to set time aside for everyone. so, in the event that we get a lot
of things to share we will unfortunately need to move them to the following
month.

RAINN and the survivors task force.

As we have witnessed many brave Federationists come forward with their
stories, I believe that it is our duty to provide the best support we can.
Cindy and I have attempted to reach out to the survivor task force to see if
they could speak at one of our meetings. However, unfortunately we have been
unable to connect. I have also reached out to RAINN the advocacy
organization that the NFB is partnering with and am trying to see if they
could present about their services. Nevertheless, we will continue to work
on it. We would like to make sure that everyone knows about these two
resources. If you would like to reach out to either of them, the number is
posted below. RAINN has an app that can be downloaded for either iOS or
Android. I have not had the chance to check the app out for Android.
However, it is very accessible for iOS and has direct connections to a wide
range of local and national resources. The app has a direct link to be able
to chat or speak on the phone to their local partners.

RAINN

Phone:8006564673

Rainn.org

NFB Survivors taskforce

Nfb.org/survivors

survivors at nfb.org <mailto:survivors at nfb.org>

Phone: 4106599314 extension 2238

Now let's get started with the Agenda.

2:00pm

Call to order.

Pledges.

Ice breaker.

Please come prepared to share with us the following.

Your name, and sequential number.

What was the last movie you saw?

2:20pm

Washington Seminar recap

Committees.

3:00pm

  Welcome package for new Orientation Center students.

As you guys may know, students have officially moved into their new
apartments on the south side of town. Just across the river from the
baseball stadium. Cindy and I propose that a welcome package for students be
created. This would include some NFB literature, and contact info.

Cindy explains the details of the care package.

3:30

50/50 Winner.

Presidential release.

Adjourn meeting.

 Important Dates

March

March 13th Des Moines chapter meeting

April

 April 10 Des Moines Chapter meeting

May

May 8th Des Moines Chapter meeting.

June

June 12th Des Moines Chapter meeting.

Enrique Mejia, NOMC

President National Federation of the Blind of Iowa Des Moines Chapter
Phone: 805-890-4316 <tel:805-890-4316>
Email: emejia at nfbi.org <mailto:emejia at nfbi.org>
Website: www.nfbi.org <http://www.nfbi.org/>
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-3726818230
82570/posts
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.