[DSM-Iowa] Updated Agenda February 13 Des Moines Chapter meeting

Enrique Mejia emejia at nfbi.org
Sat Feb 13 19:38:42 UTC 2021

Good afternoon all.
There is an important change to tomorrows agenda.
There are a couple of things I forgot about, and they have been added to the agenda.

Hello all.

I want to start by expressing how honored I am to have been elected president of our Des Moines chapter.
I look forward to working with all of you in continuing to grow our chapter.
I also look forward to getting to know every single one of you.
My goal is to attempt to send out an agenda sooner. Unfortunately, due to the loss of someone very important in my life, I have been out of the loop for the last few weeks.

I am going to start by telling you a little about me. I mean just a little as I do not want to write a book about my life, because mostly I think you guys might find it boring. Anyway, I was born in the state of Michoacan Mexico. I am the second youngest of seven. FYI I am by far the coolest one in my family, don't let any of my siblings tell you different. I am the only blind person in my family, which is very large especially the extended family. I think that Helen and I stopped counting around 80 first cousins. On March 30 <x-apple-data-detectors://0> I will be happily celebrating my 7th anniversary in Iowa.
If any of you want to get to know me more, as I want to get to know all of you, my number is 8058904316 <tel:8058904316>.
Extra fact, this is the same number I have had since I was a junior in high school.
Des Moines chapter updates.
Birthdays.
Below this email I will try to include important dates to remember. This can include people's birthdays if they wish to share with the rest of the chapter. If you would like to share your birthday, please send it to me at emejia at nfbi.org <mailto:emejia at nfbi.org>.
Meeting info:
Topic: February Des Moines Chapter meeting
Time: Feb 13, 2021 02:00 PM Central Time <x-apple-data-detectors://3> (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/7941099792?pwd=UHRXTEZLamFoNzA1djg1dEdpQVl3UT09 <https://zoom.us/j/7941099792?pwd=UHRXTEZLamFoNzA1djg1dEdpQVl3UT09>

Meeting ID: 794 109 9792
Passcode: 6324692
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,7941099792# <tel:+13126266799,,7941099792%23> US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
        +1 312 626 6799 <tel:+1%20312%20626%206799> US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 794 109 9792
Gladness, or sorrow.
If you would like to share something good that happened in your life or would like to share a sorrow that you have experienced, please let me know as soon as you can, preferably at least a week in advance of our meetings if possible, so that I can set aside time for you on the agenda. I think in these times when we feel the distance it is important to be able to share these moments with our federation family. Please note that we may not always be able to set time aside for everyone. so, in the event that we get a lot of things to share we will unfortunately need to move them to the following month.

RAINN and the survivors task force.
As we have witnessed many brave Federationists come forward with their stories, I believe that it is our duty to provide the best support we can. Which is why, Kathryn Webster from the survivors Taskforce will be joining us. I and Cindy will continue to attempt to reach out to RAINN so that anyone who needs their services can learn more about the organization.
 Kathryn Webster

Guest introduction:
From: https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/safety-support-marchingtogether <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/safety-support-marchingtogether>
Kathryn Webster
Kathryn is a white, cisgender woman who lives in Alexandria, Virginia. She works at Deloitte Consulting implementing strategic transformation for federal agencies, notably rolling out improvements to the sexual assault/harassment process within the military space. Living with ADHD and losing her vision as a young adult have helped Kathryn to grow in adaptability, flexibility, and empathy. As the coordinator of Virginia’s employment readiness program for blind youth (ages fourteen to twenty-one), and treasurer of BLIND, Inc., she has a deep passion for optimizing the lived experiences of those around her as individuals reach their full potential. Kathryn prioritizes advocacy for others, leading with her heart, and living with purpose above all else.

RAINN
Phone:8006564673 <tel:8006564673>
Rainn.org <http://rainn.org/>
NFB Survivors taskforce
Nfb.org/survivors <http://nfb.org/survivors>
survivors at nfb.org <mailto:survivors at nfb.org>
Phone: 4106599314 extension 2238 <tel:4106599314;2238>

Now let's get started with the Agenda.

2:00pm <x-apple-data-detectors://13>
Call to order.
Pledges.
Ice breaker.
Please come prepared to share with us the following.
Your name, and sequential number.
What was the last movie you saw?
2:20pm <x-apple-data-detectors://14>
Secretary’s report
Treasurers report
2:30pm
Kathryn Webster Survivorss Taskforce member.
Washington Seminar recap
Committees.
3:00pm
Friends  of the library new project Michael Barber
Friends of the library, board challenge reminder Jim Rechkemmer
3:15pm <x-apple-data-detectors://15>
Welcome package for new Orientation Center students.
As you guys may know, students have officially moved into their new apartments on the south side of town. Just across the river from the baseball stadium. Cindy and I propose that a welcome package for students be created. This would include some NFB literature, and contact info.

Cindy explains the details of the care package.
3:30 <x-apple-data-detectors://16>
50/50 Winner.
Presidential release.
Adjourn meeting.

 Important Dates
March
March 13th <x-apple-data-detectors://17> Des Moines chapter meeting
April
 April 10 <x-apple-data-detectors://18> Des Moines Chapter meeting
May
May 8th <x-apple-data-detectors://19> Des Moines Chapter meeting.
June
June 12th <x-apple-data-detectors://20> Des Moines Chapter meeting.

Enrique Mejia, NOMC
President National Federation of the Blind of Iowa Des Moines Chapter
Phone: 805-890-4316 <tel:805-890-4316>
Email: emejia at nfbi.org <mailto:emejia at nfbi.org>
Website: www.nfbi.org <http://www.nfbi.org/>
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823082570/posts <https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-Of-the-Blind-Of-Iowa-372681823082570/posts>
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa <https://twitter.com/nfb_iowa>
Live the life you want.

The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.