[Dtb-talk] [macvoiceover] Re: Olearia first public release(version 0.90b)

Ray Foret jr rforetjr at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 04:00:20 UTC 2008

Simple.  You're overlooking the fact that the NLS program was set up for the
blind; not for sighted people to use.  Here's another fact for you.  These
books (or rather I should say the talking book versions of them) do belong
to NLS; which, as you very well know, is an arm of the United states
Government.  The NlS has a perfect right to protect access to their
productions.  The public can always use such services as:
www.audible.com
to get their audio books.  I use it myself.  The reason NLS has such a right
to protect the recordings they produce is that
1.  Most of the books they record are still in copy right.

2.  Even if a book or set of recordings is not held by copy right, there may
still be restrictions placed on how those recordings are used.

    It is principally the legal question of copy right which gives NLS the
right to restrict access to the material they produce.  Just because you, or
I or f(or for that matter anyone else) is a tax paying member of the public,
that does not give us the right to just take what NLS does and use it for
hour own purposes.  You need to understand that when the program was set up,
the copy right laws were not as lenient as they are nowadays as a
consequence of the copy right act of 1996.  The holders of the copy rights
to the books gave their permission to NLS (it was then known as "The
Division for the blind and physically handicapped of the Library of
Congress" in those days) on the understanding that only the blind would have
access to and be able to use the books.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray
Phone: