[Dtb-talk] Listening to DTB Downloads

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:53:35 UTC 2008

The NLS has stated that they will never approve software based readers
for their books. NLS books are severely encrypted and use a audio
format that is all but unknown. This is do to the , mistaken in my
opinion, beliefe that these actions will prevent piracy of the books
or revers engineering of the decryption and playback.

The only problem with this is that anyone with access to an authorized
player can make a digital perfect copy to the MP3 or any other format
with nothing more than a computer and a patch cord. Think that people
will not have access to player? Think again the current 1/2 speed four
track players show up all the time on ebay and in thrift stores.
Grandma dies and people just sell off her stuff including that odd
thing she used to play her books. The new players will be even more
prone to this as the sighted will have no idea what it is.

So if you want software based playback of NLS book you should contact
your congressional  representatives and tell them so.

Greg Kearney
Curtin University Centre for Accessible Technology
www.cucat.org