[Dtb-talk] Listening to DTB Downloads

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 23:58:47 UTC 2008

A couple of points.

First once you have the recording you would have a perfect digital
master and every copy you make would itself be perfect. This is not
like making a tape copy from a tape where quality degrades with each
copy. Further these player will play be book unattended from start to
finish. Once you start the recording process you could let it run by
itself and when your software detect say a minute of silence it can be
set to stop recording. It's not like tapes where you have to be
tending it all the time turning the tape over putting in new ones and
so on.

Second anyone wanting to copy books this way does not care about the
DAISY navigation because they will be selling them to the general
public who don't have DAISY playback devices. Anyone who did want the
DAISY navigation would have a player anyway and legal access to the
book so there is no market there.

This whole "we will not authorize software playback" is a solution
looking for a problem. There has never been a serious problem with
pirated NLS recordings and tape player for those recording have been
sold to anyone for many years.

A simple DAISY book with the audio file and smil file names randomized
would keep all but the most determined from gaining access to the book
and meet the demands of the copyright act.

The NLS has spent untold amount of time and money, which has delayed
the introduction of digital talking books in the U.S. by a decade, on
an ineffective digital rights management sceme that can be defeated
with a $2 patch cord.

Greg Kearney
Curtin University Centre for Accessible Technology
www.cucat.org