[Dtb-talk] Kernel Books or Other Publications in DAISY?

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:00:46 UTC 2009

Here is a short primer in how DAISY books are produced. There are
three types of books:

Audio Only, usually made with human narration.
Text Only, like Bookshare.org produces with no recording.
Full Text/Full Audio where the audio narration is synced with the text
of the book.

This last type is generally made with synthetic speech as the process
of syncing human narration to text is very labour intensive.

If tapes of good quality of the books can be accessed ABWA can
digitised them and produce a Audio only DAISY title. We would need
print copies of the books as well. These would have navigation to the
chapter or other major section. If there is a text file or other
computer file of the text of the book we are able to generate a full
text full audio version with chapter, section and page number
navigation in about 48 hours. New human narrated books done by our
narrators in Perth take considerably longer to produce.

I would be happy to discuss digital talking book production with the
NFB at any time.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney at gmail.com