[Dtb-talk] DTB Here and There

Grover Zinn grover.zinn at oberlin.edu
Sat Dec 12 22:54:49 UTC 2009

I've been thinking for various reasons about accessibility of etexts
for text-to-voice and other such things (including the Amazon Kindle
situation).

I did not know DRM was the "problem" with NLS downloads; I do know
that the Milestone 312 (a pretty spectacular piece of hardware with
the addons) will not play NLS (and they designed it this way, given
that they are European).  I would think that the "lockout" via
registration for BARD should let the NLS "control" the distribution of
texts in Daisy format.  With the 4track tapes, there was a bit of a
limitation that you have to have a 4track player, but there is no way
to lock the tapes (as far as I know).

The "management" of etexts to prevent text to voice (see the Barnes
and Noble ebook web site) is interesting; is this just publisher
control, or is the "copyright law" on their side/ (I've done copyright
law for a collegiate setting, and it is complicated and in some cases
yet to be tested in court).

A bit of a ramble.  But this is a very interesting and crucial
question.  Other than protecting the talking book market, what is the
problem???  (Profits are important to companies   :-)   )

best

Grover Zinn

Grover Zinn
William H. Danforth Professor of Religion, emeritus
former Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074
grover.zinn at oberlin.edu