[Dtb-talk] DTB Here and There

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 00:23:21 UTC 2009

Welcome to the world of politics, copyright law and international
interlibrary loan.

As far as I can tell the National Library Service of the Library of
Congress is the only library service for the disabled, outside of
RFB&D also in the U.S., to implement system wide digital rights
management. for digital talking books. This has prevented the
development of NLS enabled software for computers as well. Should you
feel strongly about this you should contact your congressional
representatives.

The other major nations using DAISY Australia (Vision Australia,
ABWA), New Zealand (RNZFB), Canada (CNIB), United Kingdom (RNIB and
others), Sweden (TPB), Norway, Finland, Denmark, The Netherlands, the
EU, Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, India,
Thailand, South Africa, Ghana, China both the ROC and the People
Republic all use unprotected DAISY with MP3 audio format.

The problem this presents is in international interlibrary loan. We
have been trying to work out how international interlibrary loan would
work between us here in Western Australia and the Untied States and
have yet to get any kind of an answer from Washington on this question.

Here at ABWA we employ the same cartridge media and are attempting to
buy the same player as are used in the U.S. As it stands right now NLS
books would have to be converted out of their  DRM format back to MP3
audio before they could be sent to other libraries such as ourselves.
It is interesting to learn that CNIB has access to them. I wonder who
they are dealing with in Washington?

A few points to clear up. The decision to use DRM by the NLS was based
on their interpretation of the law there, not a demand from
publishers. The U.S. copyright act does not require permission from
the publisher to record a book for the blind and disabled but does,
unlike the Australian act, require that those books be in a "Special
Format" which DAISY is. If they had wanted to prevent playback on all
but DAISY devices they need only encode the books audio with random
filenames.

On a technical level NLS books are in fact formatted in DAISY/NISO
2002 format. Again the NLS is the only library in the world I am aware
of that uses that particular format for books, Most use the older, but
more universal, DAISY 2.02 or the current DIASY/NISO z3986 (2005)
format.

As has been motioned the NLS Books do not have text with them and this
is common in most libraries as syncing text to the playback is time
consuming. Converting books from tape is an interesting process which
we are doing here now. NLS has decided to generate some older books
with no navigation at all. We break our navigation at the original
tape level which we now call a part. Once we have the tapes digitized
it take about 20 minutes to do the DAISY markup and then a good deal
longer to save it out into DAISY format.

Our books here in Western Australia are done in DAISY 2.02 format with
MP3 audio. Works in the public domain can be requested by anyone
disabled or not. They may or may not have the full text as well.

They are made in such a way as to play not only in DAISY playback
devices but in MP3 players such as iPods and on MP3 enable CD players.
We provide them on NLS style media here in Western Australia or by
download. We produce books upon demand and anyone world wide is free
to use our service which can be found at:

http://www.guidedogswa.org/library/

If you request a copyright controlled work you should have your
regional library ask for it from that site or consider joining our
library service as a disabled member which will require proof of
disability and a very small yearly fee.

I hope this was helpful in understanding the situation as it exists
internationally.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney at gmail.com