[Dtb-talk] DTB Here and There

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 00:32:58 UTC 2009

I believe the whole issue of TTS of text started up with an objection
raised by the Author's Guild in the U.S. arguing that such was a
"performance"' of the work that had not been authorized. It is
interesting that in Australia to deliberately disable an accessible
format would be illegal under the AAD act (our version of the ADA).
This likely explains why we don't have these readers for sale down
here yet.

I have a letter from someone at Barnes and Noble telling me that TTS
was illegal and that was why their Mac and iPhone  book reader did not
work with the built in screen readers on those devices. When I pointed
out that deliberately disabling the assistive device was against the
law here they quickly removed the player from the Australian iTune
store and stopped communicating with me.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney at gmail.com