[Dtb-talk] NLS and copyright

Grover Zinn grover.zinn at oberlin.edu
Sun Dec 13 06:53:30 UTC 2009

As you will read in another post, I have no objections to copyright
law or downloading restrictions.  Copyright law is what makes
publishing books, etc. possible!

However, as you make clear, the international situation is a total
mess---esp. for you folks outside the US.  And perhaps I'm blurring
lines between DAISY books for the blind, et al, and the text-to-speech
use of ebooks.  But the issue is there.

I've always been curious (and could, but haven't , investigated to
find the answer; maybe someone on the list knows): how many of the NLS
books are simply the NLS version of a commercial "audio book"?

 From an earlier post, it is interesting that you can copy a cassette
to digital so rapidly!  Tech marches onward.

best

gz

Grover Zinn
William H. Danforth Professor of Religion, emeritus
former Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074
grover.zinn at oberlin.edu