[Dtb-talk] National Federation of the Blind Responds toAuthorsGuild Statement on the Amazon Kindle 2

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Feb 13 16:21:42 UTC 2009

A kindle is a portable device that displays electronic books.  You buy
a Kindle from Amazon, and then you can download books from amazon to
load on the Kindle and read.

As of now, the Kindle isn't usable by blind folks at all.

Apparently, the next version of the Kindle will have an option to use
TTS to read the book aloud, which the Author's Guild is objecting to.
Further, it seems that even if the book can be read aloud, it still
isn't usable by blind folks because the controls are only visual.

Just to cover myself, I haven't yet seen the new Kindle, I am
inferring all this from our response to the press release.

Jim