[Dtb-talk] National Federation of theBlind RespondstoAuthorsGuild Statement on the Amazon Kindle 2

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:30:07 UTC 2009

While I don't think that the Autors Guild intended to imply that the
talking book program or similar programs are a violation of copyright,
see: http://www.authorsguild.org/advocacy/articles/e-book-rights-alert-amazons-kindle-2.html

I do think they make several problematic points first they suggest
that their position is not a challenge to the blind "Others suggest
that challenging Amazon's use of this software challenges
accessibility to the visually impaired. It doesn't: Kindle 2 isn't
designed for such use."

I do not believe that the copyright act requires that only devices
designed for the use of the blind qualify for the exemption. Of course
the personal computer can and is used to read such content and it is
clearly not a device designed for the blind and with the advent of
built in screen readers even less so today. Would the Authors Guild
suggest that the blind should not be permitted to access book by means
of computers?

While the Autors guild states in their web page above that reading
aloud to your child is not a copyright violation there is another
question to ask. Is a teacher or librarian reading aloud to children,
a common practice, illegal? Is that not a public performance? What
about reading to the elderly in nursing homes, hospitals or churches?

What about Radio Reading Services many of which can now be accessed
over the internet by both the blind and the sighted? For an example
see here: https://radiotime.com/WebTuner.aspx?StationId=14044& for
more see this link: http://radiotime.com/Search.aspx?query=radio%20reading%20service

Are these online services also illegal under copyright, clearly anyone
can listen there and while they were intended for the blind they are
delivered online which anyone can use.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601