[Dtb-talk] Best tool for generating speech on a Mac?

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:08:20 UTC 2009

Here are some assorted tips that I have developed over the lats few
years.

In producing books I use mostly Alex due to its quality and the fact
that it does not require licensing to use in digital talking books.
That said it can produce some unexpected results, as can all TTS
system. I would urge you and others to report these at once to :

accessibility at apple.com

One thing that could be done is for Apple to support SSML in the say
command and in say for AppleScript. This would help a great deal
indeed. You might also mention that to the address above.

It is possible to control the TTS system to a very fine degree with
the embedded speech commands. more information can be found here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/SpeechSynthesisProgrammingGuide/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

Short of this there are things that I do in producing general reading
(non-technical) books that can be a real help.

1. I change all words that appear in all upper case letters to mixed
case letters. I have an OpenOffice script that does this.

2. I change all case of roman numerals to arabic numerals.

3. I change all case of em and en  and double hyphens to a comma and a
space.

4. Make sure that all paragraphs have any new lines removed.

Here is my much simplified, process for producing DAISY digital
talking books. This assumes you have the latest version of DAISY
Pipeline which is accessible to screen readers including VoiceOver.
You will also need the odt2dtbook OpenOffice plugin. and OpenOffice 3.
There is  similar DAISY export tool for MS Word under Windows.

1. Bring the text into OpenOffice 3, which is VoiceOver compatible.

2. Mark the major and minor heading with the Heading1 to Heading6 as
needed. Remember they must be in number order Heading1 can be followed
by another Heading1 or a Heading 2 but not a Heading3

3. I also do thing like footnotes and such but that will depend on
what your working on.

4. Export the file to DAISY.

At this point you could simply bring the resulting dtbook XML file
into your stream and you would have all the navigation in place but
let's move on and make a full text full audio book with DAISY
Pipeline...

5. Open Daisy Pipeline and create a new Narrator project. Narrator is
going to use the system default voice from the Mac.

6. Choose the dtbook XML file you created in step 4. Set the location
for the book directories and other options.

7. Run the job. Depending on the size of the dtbook XML file this can
take anywhere from a few minutes to many hours. I have a quad
processor MacPro and the whole Bible take 10 hours to generate.

What you will get is two directories one named z3986 which is a DAISY/
NISO 2005 book and one called daisy202 which is the older DAISY 2.02
format. Either one can be played in the stream and most other modern
DAISY player.

Pipeline by default always keeps the MP3 files in playable order so if
you took all the DAISY files and put them on a CD you could play it in
a MP# enable CD player. Pipeline can also generate iPod style playlist
so the books could be played as such in MP3 players and iPods.
Pipeline can do tones of other things as well like make files for
producing large print and braille books and so on.

Hope this is a helps.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601