[Dtb-talk] Fwd: E-News June 2009, Solutions Radio

David B Andrews David.B.Andrews at state.mn.us
Mon Jun 29 17:27:55 UTC 2009

David Andrews
Chief Technology Officer
Minnesota State Services for the Blind
2200 University Ave. W., #240
St. Paul, MN  55114-1840
(651) 642-0513  Office
(612) 730-7931  Cell
(651) 649-5927  Fax

>>> Solutions Radio E-News <newsletter at solutionsradio.nl> 6/29/2009 10:43 AM >>>

Dear reader,
In these days of doom and gloom we want to share some rays of light with you.
In this particular newsletter you will notice that the focus is on the reading disabled market.
It is so exciting and rewarding to know that access to Internet can offer so much information, knowledge and entertainment to those with such an impairment. Key words here are, simple to use and access to Internet without a PC! We hope that you too will be just as excited to hear about the latest developments as we are. We wish you positive times ahead!

Sponsors needed: Help us with the Blind charity run in London...
In 2 weeks time one of the directors of Solutions Radio, Karel Raven, will be doing the 10-km charity run in London. But we need your help. Not to run, because Karel is perfectly capable of doing that. Also not for travelling expenses, but to sponsor Karel.
If you do you will be supporting a well known British Charity namely British Wireless for the Blind Fund. BWBF was founded more than 80 years ago and annually gives away on a loan basis more than 10.000 adapted radio's to those with a vision impairment who are unable to afford a radio. Funds are from gifts, legacies and sponsorships. Also see blind.org.uk
The ASICS British 10K London Run attracts runners from all over the world, including current Olympic and World champions, who run shoulder to shoulder with charity fun runners and fitness enthusiasts.
In 2008 history was made when the 2004 Olympic men's marathon champion Stefano Baldini of Italy became the first male to win two successive ASICS British 10-km London Run titles. The race also attracts many celebrity runners from the world of TV and film, who run to raise awareness and funds for their chosen charities.
Needless to say, for someone that is blind or has a reading disability contact with the outside world is of the essence. Hence a (web)radio is a fantastic device to help them not feel isolated and also supports their independence.
Why do we support BWBF? Because BWBF is a charity with a good name, doing good work. Because one of the radios they give away is the SONATA. Solutions Radio has developed and produced the SONATA for the BWBF. And of course because Karel loves to run and combines pleasure with "business".
Would you like to support this charity and we hope you do then please visit our support page https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/event.aspx?e=ef1e2e44-6a28-4827-bc8d-d2cb74752be2 to donate any amount directly to the fund.
We hope we can count on your support.

World's first Internet streaming player for spoken (DAISY) books without PC!
As of March 4, 2009 Solutions Radio can claim to have the first Internet device which can stream spoken (DAISY) books from a choice of more than 9,000 books without a PC! In close co-operation with Dedicon (producer of spoken books, magazines and newspapers on CD ROM) and Loket aangepast-lezen (Dutch library service for the visually impaired) and under the auspices of the VOB, the public library entity in the Netherlands, this streaming service has been realised. Listeners of the ORIONWebbox (acronym for on-line reading and information on demand) can now create their own virtual bookshelf. Simply by phoning the library, of which you need to be a recognised member, you can make your choice of spoken books known and within seconds these are available as a stream. No longer do you have to wait for the post to deliver your large print book or CD. You have instant delivery and instant accessibility. It is important to stress that this service is a streaming service and not a downloading one. This ensures that no copyright is infringed upon and reassures the publishers and authors. Only the library can activate access to this system and allow books to be placed on the subscriber's virtual "bookshelf". At present more than 9,000 book titles are available. Every month approximately one hundred new books will be added to the collection. As time goes by older recorded books will be converted to a digital version and also added to the catalogue. It is also possible for those who do have a PC to create their own bookshelf via the library's on-line catalogue and later listen to the books using the ORIONWebbox.

Marketing of library services for the blind and VIP in Holland
Loket aangepast-lezen is the Dutch organisation to turn to for all your reading needs if you have a reading disability. They offer spoken books, spoken magazines and newspapers. To promote their streaming service Loket aangepast-lezen has been allocated a separate entry in the spoken menu of the ORIONWebbox. In the sub-menu 4 different items can be heard: new acquisitions added to the collection, dynamic book table (books selected in connection with a theme e.g. the week of the thriller), personal bookshelf and a promotional with newspapers and magazines. Even the radio and TV guide can be accessed. In comparison to the CDROM version of the TV guide, the on-line version is so much easier to scroll through. This streaming service is fully automated and gives the listener more autonomy in choice. Such is the conviction of the Dutch government that none of its citizens be denied access to reading material, that it has stipulated that even all public libraries must offer this service to their customers with a reading disability. Very often these are senior citizens, who were regular library goers and whose sight has deteriorated due to an ailment related to old age. As soon as libraries in other countries make their collection available on-line, it will be possible to also add foreign books to the reading choice! Solutions Radio has implemented open standards in its webbox. Since 2006 Solutions Radio is friend of the DAISY Consortium.

In-store Music MoodMedia

The staggering costs of satellite up-links as well as the unreliability of standalone PC's in chain stores and hence increasing maintenance costs has forced many a shopkeeper to have a look at the Internet solution to stream music. Many an Internet radio has made its way to chain stores, bars, banks etc. But what makes the Solutions Radio In-store radio so interesting? In comparison to other webradios ours has a display, which tells you exactly where you are and what you are doing. It gives you status information, firmware version and displays the genre music that is being streamed. Bug fixing and upgrades are done remotely. As the In-store radio is part of system, each webradio can be addressed separately, have a separate playlist, have differing commercials and content can be changed on the fly. Price, product and performance make the In-store Radio a winner! Join others, such as Alcas/MoodMedia, who have gone before you in Denmark, USA, Netherlands, UK, Germany and Switzerland.

Relocation of our Chicago IL office to Minneapolis MN
We continuously seek better ways to serve and help our clients. As our business in the US has grown over the years we have been looking for better and larger warehouse facilities in the USA. And we have found them nearby the Twin cities. From our new facility Bo Berglund will be responsible for general support and all our US logistics.
Our new address is:
13524 Lower Elkwood Court
Apple Valley, MN 55124-8601
Telephone, fax and email address remain the same. Would you please send all inquiries and shipments to our new Minnesota address. Our Chicago address is no longer valid. Thank you.

Click here if you do not want to receive this newsletter anymore.
Forward this eNewsletter.
View this eNewsletter online, if you did not receive it in the proper format.
Visit our website www.solutionsradio.com for more information about our newest solutions.