[Dtb-talk] Reading Rights Coalition Denounces Random House

Marks, Jim marks at mso.umt.edu
Thu May 21 19:31:01 UTC 2009

Amazon says it will make the Kindle fully accessible.  Interestingly
enough, some authors and publishers argue that while the Kindle TTS is
currently poor enough not to affect much, the technology has the
potential to compete with audio books.  Since those who would shut out
the print disabled are arguing on potential problems, we can fight back
with potential access.  (grin)  Seriously, though, this is a very
important civil rights battle because property rights are being used to
limit or deny accessibility.  The Kindle presents the closest thing
we've ever seen to being able to purchase accessible books right off the
same bookshelf our sighted peers use.  I don't know about you, but I
would really, really like to take the "special" out of my book reading
habits.

-----
Jim Marks
jim.marks at umontana.edu