[Dtb-talk] Production of DAISY DTBs - Narrator remote controls

David Vosnacos davidv at guidedogswa.com.au
Mon Oct 19 07:52:41 UTC 2009

This is a specific DTB production query that someone may be able to
assist with.  My apologies if I have directed this to the incorrect
listserve.

At the Association for the Blind of Western Australia we have a series
of studios set up for the recording of DTBs where a (human) monitor
controls the recording from an adjoining studio of a narrator.  The
narrator has some control over the recording process using a QWERTY
keyboard connected to the same workstation operated by the monitor.
Previously when using Cubase we had a pre-roll feature however since
moving to Dolphin Publisher one issue we are finding is that the options
for the narrator controlling part of the recording process results in
the physical key press being recorded as well (when using keyboard
commands) or their voice is clipped (when using voice activation).  This
was not an issue with Cubase as the key press with pre-roll meant the
key had already been pressed before recording commenced.  We've
experimented with different keyboard options including membrane versions
but the problem still remains.  Has anyone experienced this same problem
and if so how have you overcome it?  We are exploring some other
alternatives including touch sensitive serial switches and delay
mechanisms for the switch activation.  If you have some ideas please let
me know.

Regards,

David Vosnacos
Program Manager: Information Systems
Association for the Blind of WA (Inc.)
Street address: 61 Kitchener Avenue, Victoria Park WA 6100
Postal address: PO Box 101, Victoria Park WA 6979
Tel.:     (08) 9311 8202   Fax: (08) 9361 8696
E-mail: davidv at guidedogswa.com.au
Web:   www.guidedogswa.com.au

Unless stated otherwise in the body of this message, the views /
opinions expressed are purely personal and not those of the Association
for the Blind of WA (Inc.)