[Dtb-talk] Need Recommendations: Book for Demo at Tech Fair

Graczyk, William WGracz at milwaukee.gov
Mon Apr 5 13:37:41 UTC 2010

As far as I know, there is only one NLS book marked up at six levels of navigation. That book is DB 61269, Your Parents Are Crazy: A Teen Survival Guide

There are 18 books marked up at five levels of navigation. One good example might be DB 63411, The American Medical Association Guide to Living with Diabetes. You might be able to find a print copy in your local public library and use the table of contents to show how the markup enables a blind reader to get the same access to the contents of the book as a sighted reader enjoys.

I've done many demos of the digital talking book and player, and I've had great success using DB 67322, Southern Living: Forty Years of Our Best Recipes. It has only three levels of markup, but the markup goes down to the level of each ingredient in a recipe and each step in the cooking process, so you can really give a good idea of how useful the markup is and how different a DB is from a simple sound recording. The cookbook is also widely available in public libraries so you can bring along a copy of the printed book with the digital version for comparison purposes.

Bill Graczyk
Wisconsin Talking Book and Braille Library
Milwaukee's Future IT'S IN OUR HANDS!
April 1, 2010 is Census Day!
It's quick and easy. It's confidential. It's important.
It helps fund community services.

STAND UP AND BE COUNTED
www.milwaukee.gov/2010census

The City of Milwaukee is subject to Wisconsin Statutes related to public
records.  Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law,
senders and receivers of City email should presume that the email are subject
to release upon request, and to state records retention
requirements.  See City of Milwaukee full email disclaimer at
www.milwaukee.gov/email_disclaimer.