[Dtb-talk] A question about production practice

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:05:56 UTC 2010

Hello;

Here at Association for the Blind of Western Australia we have been digitising tapes and making up digital talking books. In the case of fiction we have been producing books with heading level one that correspond to the tape side. We have been marking these as parts and providing navigation to those original tape sides. We understand that chapter navigation is best and we try to do that when we can but it is not possible in all cases to do so.

We are thinking of eliminating this kind of navigation as it has no connection to the original text of the book. Rather than doing this we would for fiction only provide the recording of the book at a single level one navigation point. This would save us a fair bit of time in production.

We would like your comments on this possible change.

Gregory Kearney | Manager Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of WA - Guide Dogs WA
PO Box 101, Victoria Park WA 6979 | 61 Kitchener Ave, Victoria Park WA 6100
Tel: 08 9311 8246 | Fax: 08 9361 8696 | www.guidedogswa.com.au
Tel: 307-224-4022 (North America)
Email: greg.kearney at guidedogswa.com.au
Email: gkearney at gmail.com