[Dtb-talk] A question about production practice

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Dec 9 14:32:41 UTC 2010

Greg,

When you mark the beginnings of tape tracks, do you include any of the corresponding announcements?  For example, is there an announcement upon
which page reading resumes or such?  When I hear NLS books proclaim that "level 1 provides access to the beginning and the end of the book," it
generally brings on a chuckle as that buys one little.  If you have no other markings, the beginnings of tracks on older books might provide some usefulness
if they can be inserted without too much work.  If there is a page announcement that is retained, then the beginning of tracks would be particularly useful
enough to keep.  If there is no associated announcement of any kind, then I don't think the marks at the beginning of tracks would likely be missed.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:05:56 +0800, Greg Kearney wrote:

>Hello;

>Here at Association for the Blind of Western Australia we have been digitising tapes and making up digital talking books. In the case of fiction we have
been producing books with heading level one that correspond to the tape side. We have been marking these as parts and providing navigation to those
original tape sides. We understand that chapter navigation is best and we try to do that when we can but it is not possible in all cases to do so.

>We are thinking of eliminating this kind of navigation as it has no connection to the original text of the book. Rather than doing this we would for fiction
only provide the recording of the book at a single level one navigation point. This would save us a fair bit of time in production.