[Dtb-talk] NLS Digital Players

Flint Million fmillion at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:29:25 UTC 2010

Haha, I too was one of those who thought the NLS was being dumb to not
go with CD. Although, seeing where technology has gone has reshaped my
opinion. Nobody uses CD players anymore. For even the average sighted
person, CDs serve only as a transient transport medium; most often the
CDs end up on people's iPods or the like anyway.

To me, in the end, the NLS really did a great job to work with all
levels of technical savvy-ness. The non-savvy can order carts like
they always ordered tapes. And the savvy can get a blank cart or use a
flash drive, and download from BARD. The person desiring something
very portable can get a VR Stream and either download from BARD or use
the Library edition. Looks like all bases are covered, so in the end,
it's nice that CD's were avoided. If they had been implemented, it'd
have been only as a stepping stone to where we are now anyway.

I agree SD cards would have been too small and easy to lose. Heck, I
have about 20 or more SD cards and I keep them all in a little zipper
pouch, just so as not to lose them!

There is only one more thing I'd like to see.. A cartridge in which
you either can open it up and put inside or slide into its side an SD
card. It seems like it wouldn't be impossible to put an SD card reader
into a cartridge shell. Then, we could use the same SD card on the VR
Stream and our NLS players. :)

The DTB world is very exciting right now and I can't wait to see where
we go from here!

fm